Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Are we in Madrid yet?!

Three weeks. Three weeks I have been in Spain. I can't believe it. I've already done and seen so much and my adventure is far from over. Let's do a quick recap of my travels upon arriving in Madrid so far, shall we?

My plane took off from NYC and arrived in Barcelona on Monday, August 18th. It was a smooth ride with some vino (thats wine in Spanish), music and a TV so I could re-watch suits starting with season 1 (I just want to be Harvey). There was a small infant on the plane that kept crying and screaming for about 4/7 hours we were on the plane, so you can imagine my hatred for children at this moment in time... but that's besides the point. Immediately when we landed it was so hot. It was about 97 degrees and I wanted to die.

From Barcelona we went directly to Tarragona where I saw a water festival. 100% the best start to my adventures in Spain. It was so much fun and I got drenched in water (if you didn't put that together) all while enjoying some nice sangria. We also saw the roman amphitheater, basically like the roman colosseum but not as big. Here I fell in love with my new favorite dish, Croquetas. No joke I eat them everywhere. I ate an entire plate one night. Just croquetas. Ask me if I care? Nope. They are like mozzarella sticks but 10x better.
My view in Tarragona
From Tarragona we went to Barcelona, definitely one of the most beautiful cities and my favorite at this point. Barcelona is indescribable. The people are so nice and they are all beautiful. The food is amazing and the clubs are unreal. We went to this club called Opium and I promise you I will be going back. I fell in love with a new clothing store called Pull and Bear. Thank god they have five of them located in Madrid (Am I European Yet?) While in Barcelona we saw the Dali Museum (it's cool if you're into art, but I am not), and we saw La Sagrada Familia, which was designed and partly built by Gaudí (AMAZING, you must go see it). I also recommend staying at Hotel Lleo because, well, it's in the heart of Barcelona and it rocks.

Hotel Lleo view of Barcelona
La Sagrada Familia. Must see. GO INSIDE
Next we went to San Millán in Zaragoza. It was a monastery and yeah it was cool but the guy spoke so fast in Basque (different type of Spanish) that I made up the tour and information as I went along (#American). We only stayed here for a day so it wasn't miserable. Thank god.

HERE COME'S MY FAVORITE CITY. Bilbao. So amazing. So beautiful. So cool to see. We were there during Aste Nagusia (their biggest festival) and it was so crazy. They hate American's so beware, or just don't be American. If you find Hotel Nervion, to the right of it is a place to eat (also on the right) you can't miss it. They have the most amazing sandwiches for 5 euros. Ate there two nights in a row out of my three nights here (no shame right?) I could write an entire essay on Bilbao it's just so perfect. The fireworks are amazing, the Guggenheim museum is ridiculous and it's just so beautiful to walk around. Also, they love to dance here and you have to try to learn it because it is so fun.

Selfie Game on Point. BYE ELLEN
Finally we went to Salamanca. It was nice here. Our hotel wanted us to freeze to death but besides that, you can't go wrong. Also in every hotel, their breakfasts are the same. Eggs, toast, multiple juices, chocolate donuts, some weird coffee machine, multiple types of sausages and eggs. Did I mention eggs? Didn't think so. Salamanca is full of bars and clubs and people trying to get you take a deal and go to their bar. But don't believe them and don't get sideswiped. Ask them to speak english or leave. You will see 100 of them on your walk to any bar and they will all approach you.

I had lunch in Portugal one day! Yup. Just lunch. How cool is that?! Well actually to beat that, I went to Paris one day just to go to the beach. Yeah, the beach. European beaches > America. Actually European everything > America. You will see topless women and men in speedos here, don't say I didn't warn you. Oh and get a crepe. They are to die for. #FatKidProblems

We went to other places in between but these were the main parts. The parts I enjoyed and liked for the most part. There are cathedrals everywhere. I repeat everywhere, and I saw one to three in every city I went to... oiye.

A castle in Burgos
And yeah. That was my Pre-Madrid travel. It was an awesome experience, full of a lot of bread, expensive water and it being so hot outside that I will come back looking like a Victoria Secret's model probably from sweating so much. I'll be sure to post more frequently especially about my time in Madrid so far because well, Madrid is even better.

On our way to France


 Hasta Luego Mis Amigos!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear more! Keep having fun!!

    ReplyDelete